This application has a rolling deadline, with a preferred start date in mid-February.
All applications must be submitted through Handshake. Visit the Tulane Student Employment website for assistance in applying.
- The Taylor Center is seeking a responsible, open-minded, motivated, and dynamic Communications Student Fellow in Photography & Graphic Design who is excited to join a culture of collaborative social innovation and design thinking at Tulane and in New Orleans.
- Communications Student Fellows create & distribute content to Taylor’s website, social media channels, email newsletter, print designs, videos, and more. Taylor Center Student Fellows are ambassadors of the Taylor Center who create, implement, and communicate Taylor programs through outreach materials.
- Applicants must be interested in working towards positive social change through the fields of social innovation, design thinking, social entrepreneurship, research & scholarship, or community organizing.
- This is a Spring 2021 paid position to support the Taylor Center’s communication and marketing projects. Remuneration is $12/hr. (pro-rated stipend)
Communications Student Fellow: Job Requirements
- Work 8 hours per week for the Spring 2021 term. Meetings, supervision, editing & design can be done remotely.
- This role requires in-person photography shoots at the Uptown and Downtown campus with strict COVID precautions in place. Tulane transportation is available.
- This role may require working in the Taylor Center’s uptown office in Howard Tilton library to gain access to needed equipment.
- Work occasional evening and weekend hours, as required, to assist in documenting programming.
Communications Student Fellow: Eligibility
- Must be enrolled as a student at Tulane in Spring 2021. This role is open to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Must be in good academic standing for the term prior to selection and during the entire period of employment.
- Must maintain at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0
Primary Job Duties: Communications Student Fellow – Photography & Design
- 40%: Photography and videography: Take photos and videos of Taylor Center programming. Most content will be outdoor portraits or screenshots/recordings from zoom virtual sessions. Edit and format media for use on the Taylor Center digital channels and follow file storage protocols.
- 30%: Graphic Design: Design materials for digital and print uses. Possible projects include social media graphics, wireframes, infographics, brochures, e-books, PowerPoint presentations, and more. Ensure that marketing materials align with center brand guidelines.
- 20%: Scheduling & Meetings: Assist in scheduling/coordinating photoshoots with subjects & for events and attend meetings about ongoing projects.
- 10%: Other duties as assigned, including assisting the Digital Content Student fellow with posting media onto digital channels. Duties will evolve over the year with the possibility of increasing responsibility and opportunity for independent projects.
Required Knowledge/Skills: Communications Student Fellow – Photography & Design
- Completed at least one course in photography or graphic design with a grade of at least 3.0.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and principles of graphic design and photography, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work.
- Working knowledge of standard computer programs, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Box.
- Ability to follow brand guidelines when creating visual content.
- Experience in or willingness to learn digital marketing software such as WordPress, etc.
- Good time-management skills: must be extremely punctual, responsive, timely, and deadline-oriented.
- Additional coursework in graphic design, videography, motion design, or sound editing.
- Podcast experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, or InDesign.
- Experience creating content for social media.
- Writing skills for short blog posts, social media captions, etc.
- Experience creating graphic content for a business, nonprofit, community or student organization. (can be as an intern, volunteer, or employee)
- CM Fellows report to Taylor’s Communications and Marketing Specialist, Flora Petterson.
How to Apply
- All applications must be submitted through Handshake. Visit the Tulane Student Employment website for assistance in applying.
- Submit a 2 paragraph cover letter stating why you would like to work for the Taylor Center in this capacity.
- Submit a resume. Resume must include contact information for two professional or faculty references AND a link to an online portfolio of your photography and graphic design work.
- Email Flora Petterson at email@example.com.