Design Thinking Gumbo: Games for Social-Change with Shaymaa Abdalal
Radical change is needed for a more equitable future free from health, racial and economic inequity.
How can we encourage people who do not know each other to talk about inequality?
Join us in this DT gumbo workshop to learn how we can bring people together to have a meaningful, future-focused discussion about equity using games .
Dr. Shaymaa Abdalal is a dedicated Public Health Physician and Scientist offering demonstrated experience in health and population-based research, infectious diseases and tropical medicine; along with extensive experience developing virtual and in-person workshops and lectures both internationally and locally. She is passionate about health equity, community program development, education, and social entrepreneurship. with a proven track record of program and research capacity building grounded in social impact, racial equity, and a commitment to the health and wellbeing of the marginalized populations. She is a lifelong learner and design thinker, with the desire to develop innovative and creative ways to address health disparities in scientific research to achieve future health equity.
Dr. Abdalal is the co-Founder and manager of Pass Dat Joy social venture in pursuit of creativity, joy, and community support in the wake COVID-19 pandemic to address the risk of poor mental health and wellbeing among school-age children and their parents in New Orleans, LA.
Design Thinking (DT) Gumbo is a series of one-hour workshops on a variety of methods that can be used in design research.
- Each workshop will introduce a method, share examples of its use in other settings, and include space for participants to practice the method together.
- Think of these methods as ingredients to make your design thinking work much more rich and flavorful. Try out the different ingredients and see which ones appeal the most to your palate.
- This semester all of our method workshops will focus on understanding people’s experience of the coronavirus pandemic.
- DT Gumbo is a project of the design thinking program of the Phyllis M. Taylor Center for Social Innovation and Design Thinking at Tulane University.
- All workshops are co-facilitated by Dr. Lesley-Ann Noel and a Taylor Center Design Thinking Graduate Assistant.