skip to Main Content
.
Taylor Your Life Spring 2017 Report

Taylor Your Life Spring 2017 Report

Taylor Your Life is a changemaking career development lab that teaches undergraduate students how to approach their future with the mindset and toolkit of a designer. 

Taylor Your Life (TYL) is a 2 credit 14-week social impact career development lab for undergraduate and graduate students to “Taylor” their life course by applying methods and mindsets of design thinking (human centered design) to career development. In the TYL journey, students identify multiple life paths, clarify their interests, focus and target their search, prototype and test changemaking careers, learn how to market and brand themselves to stand out from the crowd, map their community to effectively join the network of movers and shakers in their field, and design a life that makes a positive difference in the world and is “TAYLORed” to their unique life and personality.

About the Spring 2017 Report

In a questionnaire asking TYL students about their experiences, students in the Spring 2017 cohort reported that they unanimously felt more confident about their futures after completing TYL.

Students also reported that this course helped them to successfully and compassionately design their future:

“It completely reframed my view of my future. Instead of blindly moving through college and going through the motions, I now know the steps I can take to end up in a career that I enjoy. Because of this class I have a more concrete idea of what I want to do in my future, both professionally and personally.”

“The program opened my eyes to see how many opportunities and resources we have, especially as students, and I feel confident I can tap into any of them to continue on my journey… The class really changed the way I look at things. I didn’t realize I had been following a certain path to career objectives based on what I saw in my family and parents… now, I have a changed perspective where I realize I should do things that fit my interests and wants.”

“Before this course, I had no idea what I wanted to do and I wasn’t really moving in any direction…., this course helped me discover feasible life paths and determine what I need to do to get there….[it] helped me distinguish my different interests and the potential careers that they could lead to. Creating and constantly updating the action plan helped me see exactly what and when I need to have internships, jobs, and activities.”

“I was able to consider an area of my career that I had questions about and feel more confident about what path I am on and the choices I have made. The salary negotiation and networking skills are extremely useful skills that I will use in the future.”

Key takeaways from student feedback post TYL for Spring 2017 include calls to explore more opportunities for graduate student enrollment:

“I was asked by several graduate and doctoral students (MPH) about this course and where to take it. All of them were very interested in taking a similar course, especially those about to graduate. I believe that this course would be a wonderful option if it were offered (and geared towards) students at different levels. While I found all of the curriculum to be useful, the course might benefit from a more diverse group of students.”

To learn more about the Spring 2017 session of TYL, click the button below to see the full report (pdf)

About Life Design at the Taylor Center

Created by Julia Lang, Taylor life design courses teach students to “TAYLOR” their life through the application of methods and mindsets of design thinking (human-centered design) to career development. Taylor Center life design instructors come from varied academic backgrounds and teach students from every school at Tulane. To learn more about the Taylor Center’s approach to life design education, read Julia Lang’s Ten Frameworks of Life Design Education.

To receive updates about Taylor’s Life Design programming in your inbox, subscribe to our weekly newsletter below.

Back To Top
×Close search
Search