The “Fast 48” is an immersive boot camp experience to convey practical skills in human-centered design and related tools for aspiring Changemakers who are tackling complex social challenges of poverty, poor health, financial exclusion, pollution, and more. The weekend format is designed for graduate students (especially those in applied, problem-oriented disciplines) plus faculty, professionals, and local social entrepreneurs.
Why Fast 48?
In 48 hours, you will learn:
• basic mindsets, skills and tools of human-centered design (HCD) and design thinking (DT)
• mindsets of social entrepreneurs, social intrapreneurs, and changemakers
• innovative funding mechanisms for changemakers
• examples from various fields of how HCD is infusing social innovations
The Fast 48 III kicks off Friday evening with a fast-paced workshop (“crash course”) in design mindsets and methods for a practical problem. Over the weekend, participants continue to learn by doing tackling small design challenges through team work, interspersed with practical skills-building exercises, and aided by coaches.
You will leave with new skills and mindsets of human- centered, empathetic research, insight-generation, creative ideation, parallel and rough prototyping, and testing with real users for feedback. You will join a local network of people with common interests in applying design approaches and tools to generate fresh, relevant solutions to real problems here and around the world. We will provide materials and resources to keep learning!
The fee covers simple food, drinks, and workshop supplies, and materials. There are no tuition costs, and no formal course credit will be offered. (If you are interested in academic credit via independent study, get in touch.)
How can I participate?
Enrolled Tulane graduate students are first priority. Then, Tulane staff, faculty and community partners, if space is available. Interested Tulane undergraduate students should register for SISE 3010: Design Thinking for Collective Impact, a semester-long course. Eligible participants should complete the following steps:
- To reserve your spot, apply here.
- Submit your $50 registration fee via Eventbrite. Your spot is not confirmed until you complete payment. Partial refunds will be allowed.
- Get ready! Set aside time to participate fully. This is not a conference you can dip into and out of, as you like. You must commit whole-heartedly. Please be sure you have the time.
Fast 48 IV Schedule
Friday 6 – 9 PM, light supper provided for registered participants
Welcome, introductions, supper, workbooks, teams, crash course
Saturday 9 AM – 6 PM, breakfast, lunch & snacks for registered participants
Deep dive/Discovery (empathy, synthesis, analysis)
Ideation & Selection (getting creative, brainstorming, selection)
Prototyping, testing (Rough, parallel prototypes, user feedback)
Team work, time management, creative physical spaces
Sunday 12 – 6 PM, simple lunch, supper for registered participants and guests
Team check-in, skills workshops, presentations, reflection