From Taylor to the Field

Tom Karrel Uganda

Tom Karrel, the 2017 design thinking graduate assistant spent sometime in Uganda, working for the Uganda Village Project. During his time there, he began translating his experiences with design thinking at the Taylor center to international health and development work in East Africa. Tom Karrel holds an MPH from the Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. 

Tom Karrel – January 14, 2018

tom@globallivingston.org

It’s crazy to me that it took until senior year at Tulane University to find the Taylor Center, Tulane’s department for Social Innovation and Design Thinking. Thanks to the help of Laura Murphy and the rest of that amazing group of people, I quickly became involved in all things “Taylor”: Fast 48 weekend design boot camps, various guest speakers, numerous crash courses, and even helping bring a Design for America chapter to Tulane. Above all, I was introduced to this emerging practice of design thinking, and what it really meant to try and create solutions to real-world problems with the actual end-users at the forefront of planning.

Thankfully, New Orleans didn’t release me from its grasp in 2016, so I continued my studies in International Health and Development at Tulane’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, giving me another year to further immerse myself in the Taylor Center’s programs, meeting dozens of people that have been very influential in my life.

Read more at the TaylorHub here.