Fall and Spring Positions
A’s & Aces is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization founded in 2008 with a mission to provide academic assistance, life skills and tennis to New Orleans public school children. Our sport-based youth development model is used to engage and retain under-served children who have lacked access to academic assistance and tennis, with a goal of helping them succeed on a path to college and beyond.
Administrative Assistant Intern (1 position per semester)
- Provide administrative support for programs
- Assist agency monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Assist in community outreach and parent engagement efforts
- Manage social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and help implement social media strategies
- Assist in volunteer recruitment and management
Tennis & Life-Skills Instructor (2 positions per semester)
- Lead a variety of small and large group activities each week based on A’s & Aces curriculum: teaching basic tennis, physical literacy and life skills.
- Some tennis experience preferred but not required.
Requirements: desire to help underprivileged children, available to commit to 60-70 hours per semester. Ideal candidates would have some volunteer/work experience and be a junior or senior in college. Please email resume, hours of availability and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A’s & Aces is hiring Summer Camp Counselors. Counselor positions include tennis and classroom coaches. Camp is held June 1st-July 24th, 9am-3pm. (Note: Those interested in extra hours can work before- and after-care; no camp 6/29-7/3 for Independence Day holiday.) Counselors will be compensated $10 per hour. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week based on A’s & Aces curriculum: teaching basic tennis, physical literacy and life skills.
- Help with implementation of special activities and events, such as field trips, swimming trips, Olympic Day, film screenings, et cetera.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
Management of Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- Promote a “team” attitude as well as a fun and safe working environment for all volunteers and service learners.
- Assist in tracking volunteer hours, monitoring and evaluation data collection as needed, et cetera
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports and daily attendance.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to A’s & Aces leadership.
- Desire to work with underserved children
- Ability to manage and assist high school volunteers
- Interest and ability to teach children basic tennis skills and physical literacy/fitness
- Some tennis background preferred (e.g., USTA, high school/college experience)
- Previous camp/tutoring/coaching experience a plus
Assistant Academic and Tennis Coaches
- Interns will serve as either Assistant Academic or Tennis Coaches. Both coaches will serve as positive role models to underserved youth.
- Assistant Academic Coaches will tutor elementary and middle school children in reading and writing as well as provide classroom support for lead academic coach during academic portion of after-school program.
- Assistant Tennis Coaches will provide tennis instruction to students for tennis portion of after-school program.
Time commitment: Weekly availability from 4:30-6:30 pm during one or more of the following days during the semester: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Location: Recently renovated tennis center at Joe Brown Park in New Orleans East. Personal transportation is required for this position.
Benefits to Volunteering with A’s & Aces: Opportunity to make a difference in children’s lives; USTA Safe Play training provided; in-depth look at the impact of sports-based youth development and non-profit work in general.
How to apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about volunteering. For more information about A’s & Aces, please visit our website at asandaces.org